Jocelyn Washburn is the Director of Professional Development for the Strategic Instruction Model (SIM™) Professional Developers Network and a Senior Research Associate for the Center for Research on Learning. She is a SIM Professional Development Leader and Fusion Reading Professional Developer. Her leadership to the SIM Network includes sharing advancements in SIM Interventions, delivering high-quality professional learning and coaching, directly supporting regional and national update conferences. She co-develops and delivers professional learning and coaching with a focus on adolescent literacy. Additionally, she provides support and leadership in research proposal conceptualization, the development of research partnerships internal and external to KU, and the implementation of research methodology.
In her former position at the Virginia Department of Education’s Training and Technical Assistance Center at Virginia Tech, she co-led a state-wide effort to incorporate SIM and Fusion Reading as explicit instructional tools within the Virginia Tiered Systems of Supports framework. She has provided instructional coaching and technical assistance to teachers and administrators implementing evidence-based and inclusive practices. She has worked with students with and without disabilities at the secondary level for nearly 20 years. She has served as a literacy coordinator, instructional coach, and special education teacher. In these leadership roles, Jocelyn’s work has focused on systems change, instructional delivery, and adolescent literacy.
- Partnership Approach to Coaching and Teaching
- Strategic, Explicit Instruction
- Blended, Personalized Professional Learning
- Writing Instruction
- Adolescent and Disciplinary Literacy
- Intensive Intervention
- High Leverage Practices
- Washburn, J. (2017). Contributor to Research Synthesis for HLP 2 (pp. 30-31, Published in McLeskey, J., Barringer, M-D., Billingsley, B., Brownell, M., Jckson, D., Kennedy, M., Lewis T. Maheady, L., Rodriquez, J., Scheeler, M.C., Winn, J., & Ziegler, D. (2017, January). High-leverage practices in special education. Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children & CEEDAR Center.
- Washburn, J. & Billingsley, B. (2018). Leading effective meetings with professionals and families. Published in High-leverage practices in special education. London: Routledge Press.
- Washburn, J. (Resubmission Pending). A Review of oral reading fluency and reading comprehension for adolescent struggling readers. Reading Research Quarterly.
- Brasseur-Hock, I.F., Miller, W.H., Washburn, J., Chroust, A.J., & Hock, M. F. (Under Review). The Effects of a comprehensive and supplemental middle school reading program. White Paper.
- Washburn, J. (2017). Teaching secondary students literacy skills for content learning. In J. Bakken (Ed.), Classrooms: Academic content and behavior strategy instruction for students with and without disabilities. Hauppauge, NY: NOVA Science Publishers.
- Instructional Coaching Columnist, Aspiring Special Education Leaders Academy’s bi-annual newsletter, Fall 2016 – present
- Washburn, J. (2018). High Leverage Practices in Special Education Collaboration Laminated Guide by National Professional Resources, Inc. and Council for Exceptional Children.
- Virginia SIM Learning Conference organizer, facilitator, and presenter, session topics: SIM and High Leverage Practices for Schools, High Leverage Practices in Special Education, High Quality Content Enhancement Professional Development, and Virtual Tools for Professional Learning, November 2018
- Designing Instruction with Proven Practices Professional Learning Day for special education teachers and administrators, organizer and presenter, November 2018
- Universal Design for Learning conference presenter for North Cross Private School, August 2018
- Co-taught Teaching Exceptional Children, EDCI 5554, with Dr. Bonnie Billingsley, face-to-face and online components, 2017-2018
- Designed and taught Course Organizer and Unit Organizer Blended Learning Online Course for teachers in five different locations in Virginia (southwest to eastern shore), 2017-2018 and 2018-2019
- University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning Annual Conference, Concurrent Session Presenter on Blended Professional Learning with Content Enhancement Routines; Kaleidoscope
- Presenter on High Leverage Practices in Special Education: A Guide for Professional Learning; and Poster Session on Demonstration Sites to Make Informed Decisions, July 2018
- Virginia Educational Research Association conference presenter, The Predictability of Oral Reading Fluency for Adolescent Struggling Readers, September 2017
- University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning Annual Conference, Panel Presentation & Discussion, Improving Student Outcomes with Fusion Reading through Leadership, July 2017
- Fusion Reading 2-Day Professional Learning, organizer and presenter, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Co-facilitated and presented at SIM Potential Professional Developers 5-Day Institutes, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018
- Data Driven Decision Making Professional Learning Day organizer and presenter, September 2015
- Co-Teaching Professional Learning Days organizer and presenter, September & October 2014
- Virginia Tiered System of Support conference presenter, 2013, 2017, 2018
- Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development conference breakout session presenter, Climate, Culture, and Partnership Principals, November 2011
- Council for Exceptional Children Annual Conference presenter, 2007 & 2011