Narrative Theme Writing
This session will focus on the brand new program for teaching students how to use the Theme Writing Strategy to write a variety of stories. Participants will learn about story grammar, or the parts of stories. Then they will learn how to teach students to apply story grammar using the TOWER Strategy to write a variety of stories including personal stories, autobiographies, historical stories, journalistic stories, biographies, and fiction stories. Additionally, they will learn to teach students to write stories based on research and long stories. Research data will be shown from a study conducted with students who were struggling writers. The results show that students who learned the strategy earned significantly higher scores on their stories than students who did not learn the strategy. Large effect sizes were obtained on all measures.
Learning Outcomes/Next Steps
Participants will :
• Learn the parts of Story Grammar
• Complete a Story Analysis Sheet
• Understand the differences among the types of stories and how they are to be written
• Discuss ways that the instructional program can be used across grades and subject areas
• Discuss how the program allows for practice related to the Key Shifts associated with the Common Core State Standards.