Jocelyn Washburn, PhD
- Director of Professional Development
- Assistant Research Professor
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
Jocelyn Washburn, Ph.D., is the Director of Professional Development for the Strategic Instruction Model (SIM™) Professional Developers Network and a Senior Research Associate for the Center for Research on Learning. Her leadership to the SIM Network includes sharing advancements in SIM Interventions, delivering high-quality professional learning and coaching, directly supporting regional and national update conferences. She provides support and leadership in research proposal conceptualization, the development of research partnerships internal and external to KU, and the implementation of research methodology. Dr. Washburn is Co-PI on an Office of Special Education Programs-funded project to develop and test an online professional development system called APLM Online for WRITE, a technology-enhanced writing tool developed for educators to better understand and then apply effective technology-based solutions aligned within evidence-based writing interventions. Additionally, she co-develops and delivers professional learning and coaching with a focus on adolescent literacy and provides technical assistance to and facilitates professional learning for schools, districts, regions, and state-wide literacy leadership teams.
In her previous roles, she has provided instructional coaching and technical assistance to teachers and administrators implementing evidence-based and inclusive practices. She has worked with students with and without disabilities at the secondary level for more than 20 years. She has served as a literacy coordinator, instructional coach, and special education teacher. In these leadership roles, Dr. Washburn’s work has focused on systems change, instructional delivery, and adolescent literacy.
Magna Cum Laude
- Partnership Approach to Coaching and Teaching
- Strategic, Explicit Instruction
- Blended, Personalized Professional Learning
- Writing Instruction
- Adolescent and Disciplinary Literacy
- Intensive Intervention
- High Leverage Practices
Selected Publications —
- Washburn, J. (2021). Reviewing evidence on the relations between oral reading fluency and reading comprehension for adolescents. Journal of Learning Disabilities. https://doi.org/10.1177/00222194211045122
- Brasseur-Hock, I.F., Miller, W.H., Washburn, J., Chroust, A.J., & Hock, M. F. (2021). The Effects of a comprehensive and supplemental middle school reading program. International Journal for Research in Learning Disabilities. 5(1), 25-41. https://doi.org/10.28987/ijrld.5.1.25
- Berkeley, S., Hock, M. & Washburn, J. (Forthcoming). Methodological considerations for using single case experimental design to evaluate basic reading interventions for students with learning disabilities. Learning Disabilities Quarterly.
- Washburn, J. (2017). Contributor to Research Synthesis for HLP 2 (pp. 30-31, Published in McLeskey, J., Barringer, M-D., Billingsley, B., Brownell, M., Jckson, D., Kennedy, M., Lewis T. Maheady, L., Rodriquez, J., Scheeler, M.C., Winn, J., & Ziegler, D. (2017, January). High-leverage practices in special education. Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children & CEEDAR Center.
- Washburn, J. & Billingsley, B. (2018). Leading effective meetings with professionals and families. Published in High-leverage practices in special education. (pp. 15-33). London: Routledge Press.
- Washburn, J. (2017). Teaching secondary students literacy skills for content learning. In J. Bakken (Ed.), Classrooms: Academic content and behavior strategy instruction for students with and without disabilities. Hauppauge, NY: NOVA Science Publishers.
- Instructional Coaching Columnist, Aspiring Special Education Leaders Academy’s bi-annual newsletter, Fall 2016 – present
- Washburn, J. (2018). High Leverage Practices in Special Education Collaboration Laminated Guide by National Professional Resources, Inc. and Council for Exceptional Children.
Selected Presentations —
- Washburn, J., Berkeley, S., & Hock, M. (2021, October 15). Using Single Case Experimental Design to Evaluate Basic Reading Interventions. [Poster session]. Council for Learning Disabilities Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Washburn, J., & Myers, S. (2021, October 15). A Virtual Community of Practice to Support Virtual Coaching with SIM Interventions. [Poster session]. Council for Learning Disabilities Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Washburn, J. & Tralli, R. (2021, October 7). Accelerate Learning with the SMARTER Instructional Cycle. [Teacher Webinar and Administrator Webinar Sessions]. Marburn Con, Virtual.
- Brasseur-Hock, I., & Washburn, J. (2021, March 10). Evidence-Based Practices for Adolescents with Learning Challenges. [Webinar]. Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s Office of College and Career Readiness.
- Washburn, J., & Myers, S. (2021, February 3). Virtual Coaching to Support Educators with SIM. [Conference session]. Florida SIM Update Virtual Conference, Virtual.
- Washburn, J., McCaleb, D., & Stewart, L. (2020, October 28). Science of Reading and SIM. [Conference session]. Northeast SIM Update Virtual Conference, Virtual.
- Lancaster, P. & Washburn, J. (2020, October 28). The Intersection of SIM and High-Leverage Practices. [Conference session]. Northeast SIM Update Virtual Conference, Virtual.
- Berkeley, S. & Washburn, J. (2020, October 16). Single Case Design and Reading Research: What Have We Learned? [Roundtable Session]. Council for Learning Disabilities Conference, Virtual.
- Washburn, J. (2020, September 11). SIM in Inclusive Classrooms. [Webinar]. Alpha to Omega Schools in India and Singapore.
- Deshler, D. & Washburn, J. (2020, February 5). Evidence-based Practices to Practice-based Evidence: An Important Change in Focus. [Keynote]. Florida SIM Update Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Washburn, J. (2020, February 6 & January 23). The Intersection of SIM and High-Leverage Practices. [Conference sessions]. Florida SIM Update Conference, Orlando, FL; Arkansas SIM Update Conference, Conway, AR.
- Brownell, M. & Washburn, J. (2019, October 25). High-Leverage Practices in Special Education: A Professional Development Guide for School Leaders. [Conference session.] National Association for State Directors of Special Education and Council for Administrators of Special Education Joint Conference, Louisville, KY.
- Hock, M., Brasseur-Hock, I., Washburn, J., & Myers, S. (2019, October 5). Supporting Adolescent Reading: Effective Reading Programs, Student Self-Perception, and Instructional Coaching. [Panel session.] Council for Learning Disabilities Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Washburn, J. (2017, September). The Predictability of Oral Reading Fluency for Adolescent Struggling Readers. [Panel discussion.] Virginia Educational Research Association Conference, Charlottesville, VA.
- Hock, M., Brasseur-Hock, I, Washburn, J., & Miller, W. (2017, July). Improving Student Outcomes with Fusion Reading through Leadership. [Panel discussion.] University of Kansas Center for Research on Learning Annual Conference, Lawrence, KS.